The easy reference for our must-visits, recos, and menu favorites across the country.
- Saucebox – Portland, OR – Get drink on the menu and the soft shell crab steam buns.
- Boqueria – New York, NY – get the bombas if available, pitchers of sangria
- Blue Plate Taco – Los Angeles, CA – pork belly tacos, and again, pitchers of sangria
- Gladys – Brooklyn, NY – the jerk chicken and festival
- Mercado – Los Angeles, CA – those glorious carnitas, or the dos gringas tacos
Food Menu Items
- Hibiscus Doughnut, Dough – New York, NY
- Carnitas, Mercado – Santa Monica, CA
- Celebration Cake, SusieCakes – Los Angeles, CA
- Corn Cookie, Momofuku Milk Bar – Brooklyn, NY
- Pollo Criollo, The Cuban – Hoboken, NJ
Drink Menu Items*
- Streets Painkiller, Streets – Brooklyn, NY
- Sorrel Mimosa, Streets – Brooklyn, NY
- Magnum, P.I. Neapple, Saucebox – Portland, OR
- Start Me Up, The Nomad – New York, NY
- Frozé, Sol Cocina – Los Angeles, CA
*Copa d’Oro’s (L.A.) Piña Colada and Bit House Saloon’s (Portland) Split Personality
- Hibiscus, Dough – New York, NY – just LOOK at this crystallization. At the sheen.
- Maple Bar, Safeway – Corvallis, OR – try it and tell me it’s not something special
- Passion Fruit Blackberry, Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken – Washington, DC – Note: it’s a seasonal/rotating flavor
- Plain Glazed, Dough – New York, NY
- Buttermilk Old Fashioned, Blue Star – Portland, OR – Not actually a real donut, but delicious
Restaurants We Want to Try
- Pearl’s Bake and Shark – Brooklyn, NY – mixed reviews from , but it appears to offer our favorite hard-to-find Caribbean food, with our favorite tropical drinks, in our favorite setting (Trendy Caribbean Lounge), in one of our favorite neighborhoods
- Broken Spanish – Los Angeles, CA – because of this. And if God grants us the stomach space, oxtail plantain quesadillas and “whipped carnitas fat” tortillas seem nearly as critical.
- No Bones Beach Club – Portland, OR – Never has vegetarian food looked so appealing. And tiki drinks certainly don’t hurt.
- Bar Casa Vale – Portland, OR – tapas are blowing up in PDX, and this one is said to have a best-in-city bar program to match
- Preux and Proper – Los Angeles, CA – Acclaimed N’Orleans cuisine in DTLA with items like “Chicken Fried Pork Belly,” “Dungeness Crab Hushpuppies,” and “Saddle of Rabbit” that jump off the menu
- Ataula – Portland, OR – a very touch table to get, in an established PDX tapas spot, in a favorite neighborhood of ours
- Can Font – Portland, OR – Michelin-recognized Chef Josep Vidal’s only other location prior to Portland was Barcelona. So yeah, this is probably super legit.
- Native – Santa Monica, CA – one of the hot openings of 2018. Add to that a chance to support a chef of color and on the West Side and in the old Santa Monica Yacht Club location? Easy choice.